Coming from a country where some of the finest Gemstones (precious stones) are found ,I have decided to do some studying about them. After all they are “…a girls best friend” right! 😀
So below is a list of famous precious stones!
- Allotrope of carbon.
- It has the same formula of a graphite in a different shape (Shape matters! LOL!)
- For you non chemical people its like the prettier sibling of graphite! 😀
2) Blue Sapphire
- My country ,Sri Lanka, is famous for it 😀
- It is a makeup of corundum or Aluminium oxide.
- Its blue and beautiful: vivid medium dark violet to purplish blue is described as the fine blue sapphires and are most expensive.
- Sapphire is derived from the Greek word “sappheiros” which means “precious stone”.
- Ruby is the name given to red sapphires. Therefore is also made of corundum/ aluminium oxide.
- Found in places where blue sapphire is found ( Sri Lanka!)
- No other gemstone apart from diamond is harder than Ruby.
- In ancient sanskrit, ruby is called Ratnaraj which means king of gemstones.
4) Star Sapphires
- So basically flash a light onto this stone from above, you can see a star-like phenomenon known as asterism.
- Some of its finest collection is found again in Sri Lanka.
- Found in many shades of blue,purple and red.
- The stone exhibits 6 rays usually.
- My personal favorite solely based on its scarcity.
- Its green (made of chromium and sometimes vanadium).
- Their toughness is generally poor.
- Columbia is the largest producer of emeralds.
For humans sake i kept the chemistry out of this post.
And then theres that list of semi-precious rocks ill be posting soon.